8.05.2013

Dinner? Every single day? It's Monday-Yumday

If you look on the right side of the blog, you will see that I added my daily "internal monologue" (for not saying desperate thoughts) regarding dinner. Except for some days where I surprisingly manage to plan my cooking in advance, this happens almost every day. Over and over again. It's exasperating.

A month ago or so it came clear to me that I had a very limited number of dishes in my "culinary portfolio". Even though my husband was always very satisfied with everything I cooked, I was repeating them very often. I needed new ideas.

I started navigating through different websites and ended up with 40 open tabs. So many recipes that sounded amazing and wouldn't take that much time of my spare time after work.

This is how I came across the recipe I'm going to share with you today and in all my other food posts.

Just to set the record straight: I'm not a professional cook, never have taken any cooking class of any kind and definitely aren't looking to be the next Top Chef.

So here's something I tried out last week for the first time:

Mushroom, Leek and Fontina Frittata
(by Bon Appetit)

My Frittata
#chefK comments:

+ all ingredients are easy to get
+ overall preparation and cooking time is short
+ since I didn't get fontina cheese, I ended up buying a mixture of six different varieties (mozzarella, fontina, romano, asiago, provolone & parmesan). This worked perfectly
+ you can eat it the day after at room temperature

(-) the instructions say to pour the egg mixture over the leeks and mushrooms without stirring. This way, you will have the vegetables on the bottom and the whole egg mixture on the top. I would definitely mix eggs and vegetables to have it evenly distributed
(-) it wasn't tasteless, but there was definitely something missing
(-) make sure to have an oven-proof pan with no plastic handles


I would be glad to read your suggestions or improvement tips for this dish.


Follow me on Instagram